A discretionary trustee is a third-party entity that assumes certain fiduciary responsibilities and decision-making authority for managing and overseeing the retirement plan. Hiring First Hill Trust as a discretionary trustee for your plan can offer several advantages. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Reduced Fiduciary Liability: By appointing First Hill Trust as a discretionary trustee, the plan sponsor can transfer a significant portion of the fiduciary responsibility to First Hill Trust. This can help mitigate the plan sponsor's exposure to fiduciary liability, as the First Hill Trust takes on the duty to make prudent investment decisions, and to manage and administer the plan in the best interests of the participants.
- Expertise and Professionalism: First Hill Trust specializes in retirement plan management, investment strategies, regulatory compliance, and fiduciary obligations. Our expertise ensures more informed and well-reasoned decisions, resulting in better investment outcomes for plan participants.
- Objective Decision-Making: Discretionary trustees are obligated to act in the best interests of plan participants and beneficiaries. First Hill Trust’s independence from the plan sponsor can help ensure that decisions are made objectively and without conflicts of interest that might arise if the plan sponsor were solely responsible for managing the plan.
- Time and Resource Savings: Retirement plan administration and investment management is complex and time-consuming. By delegating these responsibilities to First Hill Trust, the plan sponsor can free up internal resources and focus on other core business activities.
- Risk Management: First Hill Trust has processes in place to monitor and manage investment risks effectively. This can help the plan sponsor avoid potential investment pitfalls and ensure that the plan's investment options align with the participants' risk profiles and retirement goals.
- Regulatory Compliance: Retirement plans are subject to numerous regulations, including those outlined in the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). First Hill Trust’s expertise in ERISA and other relevant regulations will help ensure that the plan remains compliant, reducing the risk of legal and regulatory issues.
- Participant Confidence: The involvement of a reputable discretionary trustee can boost participants' confidence in the retirement plan's management and oversight.
- Customized Investment Strategies: First Hill Trust will work with the plan sponsor to develop tailored investment strategies that align with the plan's objectives and the participants' needs. This results in a more diversified and appropriate investment lineup.
- Reduced Exposure to Investment Performance: If the plan's investments underperform, the plan sponsor may have reduced exposure to participant claims, as the discretionary trustee bears the responsibility for investment decisions.
- ERISA Section 404(c) Compliance: If the retirement plan is designed to comply with ERISA Section 404(c), First Hill Trust can play a critical role in ensuring compliance with the requirements that allow participants to control their own investment decisions, which can further protect the plan sponsor from liability related to participant investment choices.
- Transparency and Reporting: First Hill Trust provides regular reports to the plan sponsor, offering transparency into the plan's performance, investment decisions, and compliance efforts.
While a plan sponsor will always maintain responsibility for monitoring any plan providers, delegating the fiduciary liability associated with their retirement plan to First Hill Trust provides considerable comfort and assurance for our clients. Let First Hill Trust take on this responsibility so that you can focus on running your business. Find out how First Hill Trust’s discretionary trustee services can help you.